Wednesday, March 2, 2011

more than your average every-day guy. . .

American Dream
Switchfoot

When success is equated with excess
The ambition for excess wrecks us
When top of the mind becomes the bottom line
When success is equated with excess

If you’re time ain’t be nothing for money
I start to feel really bad for you honey
Maybe honey put you’re money where your mouth’s been running
If you’re time ain’t be nothing but money

I want out of this machine
It doesn’t feel like freedom

This ain’t my American dream
I want to live and die for bigger things
I’m tired of fighting for just me
This ain't my American dream

When success is equated with excess
When we’re fighting for the beamer, the lexus
As the heart and soul breathing the company goals
Where success is equated with excess

I want out of this machine
It doesn’t feel like freedom

This ain’t my American dream
I want to live and die for bigger things
I’m tired of fighting for just me
This ain't my American dream

Cause baby’s always talkin ‘bout a ring
And talk has always been the cheapest thing
Is it true would you do what I want you to
If I show up with the right amount of bling?

Like a puppet on a monetary string
Maybe we’ve been caught singing
red, white, blue, and green
But that ain’t my America,
That ain’t my American dream

i don't know about y'all, but i want to make my life worth something, i want to get married, have as many kids as the Lord will give us, i want to have a house that's just the rights size to bless others, and my family. not really sure about the dog or the white picket fence, those would be nice but not necessary. like switchfoot says, "i wanna live and die for bigger things." when i die, i want people to say "man. . . that guy was totally sold-out, on-fiya, CRAZY for his Savior!" not "man. . . that guy had a really nice house." i want to be a great daddy, husband, leader, follower, christian, servant, brother, son, friend. i want to go the opposite way, and be willing to loose it all for God.

Ky

6 comments:

  1. Those are some great lyrics!! I'll have to look that song up.

    And hey, I think it's great that you already know how you want to live your life!!!! I don't know many guys who plan on living for God, right now!!!

    Keep up the good work, Ky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN!!!!!! That is what i pray all the time as well.


    I saw that you liked phil wickham and shane and shane. congratulations. Your amazing!!!! :)
    Phil Wickham is actually going to be in my town tomorrow night!!! *clapping* :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Jaw drops to the floor* LUCKY! Phil is just too cool to be real. Now Shane & Shane are two guys totally on-fiya for God. I went to see them in concert when they were doing their 'Turn Down the Noise (or maybe 'music')tour with matt maher. It was one of the best I've ever been to. (I've only been to three, so not saying much, but they were really good.)

    Ky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last year Shane and Shane and Phil Wickham toured together! I wanted to go SOOOO bad!!! But i could't get anyone to go/take me. So i was depressed. :(

    My brother went though and said it was amazing!!! yes i am so jealous!! :)
    My brother actually went with some friends and went early becuase for some reason they were asked to come and set up for the concert. So they hung out with the 3 of them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. woah...that would be sweet. I've never gotten to help a band set up for a concert...but a couple years ago, my brothers and I helped Alex and Brett Harris set up for a Do Hard Things conference they did in Dallas Texas. It was pretty cool! We just folded t-shirts and helped with anything they asked us to do.:D
    Hayley

    ReplyDelete

if you are commenting, you are epic, and every other awesome word you can think of!