Friday, December 31, 2010

Riches and tornadoes

so this morning at six thirty we got a tornado warning, this is what hit down only half a mile away.






naw i'm just kidding, there was a tornado warning, but thank God there never was any.  i felt convicted though during the watch because i was really worried about my stuff in my room that might be ruined if we got hit.  i think that God sends tornadoes just as a constant reminder that things won't last.  two years back we had a real tornado touch down half a mile away and it was pretty scary, we drove by later and it was just wreckage everywhere, one house was even split in half.  here's a good reminder of storing up treasure on earth and not in heaven.

The Parable of the Rich Fool

 16 And he (Jesus) told them this parable: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded an abundant harvest. 17 He thought to himself, ‘What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.’
   18 “Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store my surplus grain. 19 And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of grain laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.”’
   20 “But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’
   21 “This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for themselves but is not rich toward God.”


Praise the Lord the tornado didn't hit our house, and be mindful that riches stored on earth won't last.
Ky

7 comments:

  1. Wow! That's crazy.
    But yeah, i agree that those kind of things help you sort of keep in perspective that all this earthly stuff that we have can be gone in a instant. I know that when we were having all those earthquakes up here, I was scared that something could happen to our house and stuff.... but I should've trusted that God was in complete comtrol and even if something had happened, it would've been a part of His plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very thankful your house wasn't hit! Tornadoes are so scary....thankfully, we don't get very many where I live.
    But you're right, God certainly shows us that earthly things won't last forever. God is good, and He's always teaching us something. :)

    ~Lily
    ps--Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. once, we had a tornado right outside of our school and my piers and i spent THREE HOURS on our knees, bent over, covering our heads. it was AWFUL. thank goodness God kept us safe :)

    and yeah, i sometimes get caught up in possessions and stuff. then i remember heaven and the streets of gold and i laugh. what we think is valuable is street pavement up there!

    blessings,
    anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not only that Anna, but gold in its purest form. Not the cruddy old gold we have on this earth. Instead, Heaven will contain gold as clear as crystal with all the impurities stripped from it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah we live in tornado alley, from what I heard four people died from the recent tornado in a town called cinncinnati about an hour away from our house.

    Ky

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah...Every time we have a really bad storm or tornado by our house it's definitely a great reminder to me of how short the amount of time is we have on earth...and how insignificant all our "valuable" things are...
    Hayley

    ReplyDelete

if you are commenting, you are epic, and every other awesome word you can think of!